Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Desert Friends

I come from a family that loves snow. When we walk, we ski, when we count we play cards! We come from Maine. Even today my beloved dad, now in his eighties is a ski bum. Having said that, I must confess that I am falling in love with the desert...not just any desert but the Arizona-Sonora Desert.

... no snow...no cold wind... no people driving toward me with no experience driving in real snow... ;) add back sunshine, desert cactus and birds galore... It's magic here.

Everywhere I turn I am making new unexpected friends like this Yucca tree. I can't help believe that Theodor Seuss Geisel lived in this desert and met these many characters first. I am in awe of the birds, plants and people here. All welcoming and colorful in their own unique ways.




A Baja Fairy Duster - Tabardillo ...
I didn't know that Fairies dusted the desert?



and Mr and Ms Cardinal absolutely gorgeous good company.




I never know when the unexpected will happen here. Yesterday when we were about three miles out in the desert walking, along came two horseback riders crossing the trail. What followed immediately captured our fancy. Can you see our new friend peaking back at us?



A delightful sight followed...Along came a large dog, one big white shaggy billy goat gruff...and lastly a very curious horse ... all three following freely...no leashes, no bridles, no nothing, just trotting along after their owners. Much to my dismay I did not capture the billy goat with my camera .... luckily for me this cutie pie horse was enamored with us and could not help but stop and gaze back longingly a number of times. Before long he had to make haste and off he trotted down the trail to catch up with his family. We were sad not to have made a formal introduction. Maybe someday we will see them again.


Sunsets are our friends too... Steadfast and strong they bring comfort at the end of the day.

It's a good time for me to be here in the desert. To accept this time of change, to let go of my worries. I don't know what tomorrow will bring but for today my heart is full. New friends surround me.

Casey, our 26 your old son, is due in tomorrow... We hope the snow gods will pause as he travels south from Michigan for his own first desert experience. What a joy to share an introduction to this land with him! It should be a fun week as we get out and do some exploring together.


Happy Holidays to You and Yours... May love guide you and keep you and the sun shine on your always! Marie

No comments: