Thursday, December 25, 2008

Gluten Free Eggs Benedict


For as far back as I can remember I have enjoyed a delicious meal of Eggs Benedict as a way to start the day of celebration for the Christmas and Easter Holidays. About three years ago my our house became gluten-free.... Now that I am not working, and instead am living in an RV full-time, I have the delightful thing called time. This new found luxury has allowed me finally start learning the joy of cooking.

Thankfully three days ago, it occurred to me look on the internet for gluten-free English Muffins
thus allowing Phil to join in too. Sure enough I found a recipe! Our son Casey, home for the holidays, by some miracle loves to cook! He made the delicious gf Hollandaise Sauce ... turns out sauce made from scratch is gluten free. I was a previously committed package Hollandaise Sauce chef however they are not gluten-free. No worries with Casey here to save the day!


Marie's Beautiful Muffin Recipe! Here is the modified version from the glutenfreesoxfan.com recipe from the link above. Makes 6 muffins
  • 1 and 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
  • 1 teaspoon xanthum (which I forgot)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 scant Tablespoon quick rise (1 packet gf yeast like Red Star)
  • 1 teaspoon Canola oil
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon warm water.
Steps
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Use a greased & lightly floured muffin pan
  3. Add dry ingredients
  4. Mix then add the wet ingredients
  5. Beat for 2 minutes (my batch was very watery...but still set up great even without the xanthem
  6. Let rise for 20 minutes
  7. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes...I used my convection microwave for the same time.

Tips:
  • My muffins were on the small side so each of us had two muffins opened with the ham and one egg for each of the muffins.
  • Toast the muffins
  • Dab of hollendaise on muffin under the ham
  • For larger groups I use a big frying pan with about an inch of water. Then I just fill it with two eggs per person...and have a steamed egg instead of poached. Makes it easier on the cook when feeding a larger group.
Enjoy!

No comments: