Friday, February 27, 2009

Sweetwater Wetlands - Human Ingenuity

From the Audubon website: Sweetwater Wetland is an constructed wetland located in Tucson between I-10 and the Santa Cruz River, near Prince Road. Built in 1996, it helps treat secondary effluent and backwash from the reclaimed water treatment system at adjacent Roger Road Wastewater Treatment Plant.

It's so easy to be overwhelmed by the disruption of our financial / social changes. A time where it is easy to miss the forest for all the trees. Spending time at Sweetwater gave me hope once again that someone's magic dust can improve our world. That's probably a stretch, finding magic dust, but it I could see amazing results of putting a problem (dirty water) and people/money/values can do to not just solve the problem but improve peoples lives by making this unique, bird rich, visually inspired urban park.

Come share my walk and see if you find a bit of hope in this day too.

The gift of dirty water: Some good human beings in Tucson have created
Sweetwater Wetlands, an amazing water treatment facility, urban wildlife habitat, and a tranquil park for all of us to enjoy! The work together with the Tucson Audubon Society to share this unique urban respite with all of us.
There is some refurbishing /upgrades happening right now however it did not damper our spirits a bit. We had so much company with the water birds, hawks and turtles that we did not mind. This is a free activity in Tucson that inspires one soul. I was so grateful to be where nature, science and ingenuity touched... cleaning our water and enriching our spirit. Wear walking shoes and bring water and binoculars if you have them!


There is a series of ponds to walk by.
We saw a wide variety of birds both in the water and flying above us.


Prickly pear cactus following me around Arizona.
No matter where I go there is one somewhere to great me.
Ubiquitously friendly!





How's your landing gear?
Grateful to be here mine are strengthened.

Can you find the sunbathers in this pictures?
Those turtles sure looked relaxed!



I hope find some time to wander this week!

I wish you well.

2 comments:

Judy @ Tucson Snowbird said...

e of my favorite Hidden Gems in Tucson!

Ginger Sanders said...

Thanks so much for the post! I had no idea that water treatment in Tucson could be this beautiful. I am definitely going to visit Sweetwater the next chance I get. It looks just lovely.