Sunday, April 19, 2009

Great Horned Owls Tangle with Harris Hawks


Great Horned Owl and two Harris Hawks


video

I am blessed to live in an RV below a row of palm trees that provide nesting space for a magnificent pair of Great Horned Owls and their chick.
I have a few photo's from my Canon PowerShot SD870s to share...
I wish they were better pictures as you will see.

Yesterday started quietly with my coffee and the music of birds. Our Desert Trails RV Park now an April oasis of natural sites and sounds. Gone is the bustle of the sun chasers replaced with the Sanoran desert calm all in bloom. I wasn't far into my coffee when I heard great screeching, wing flapping and angst. Aware of the owls dining on doves and sometimes rabbits these sounds were loud and unusual. Out the door I flew with my binoculars and camera.

Two Harris Hawks were buzzing our owl family! They would perch on nearby flag poles than swoop at the owls. The male owl came in on the palm tree next door to the nest too. The Owls clicked and bristled as the hawks flew in over and over without ever landing. It was a site to be seen.

It didn't take long for others in the park to show up to watch too with enough human presence to end the drama. All were relieved to watch the hawks move on and leave our owl family intact.



THIS MOMENT IN LIFE BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

www.thatwhichisgood.com

No comments: